Thursday 5 April 2012

Thursday Thinkin' - Working for the Mouse... Mickey Mouse that is!

Greetings my dears!

I thought I would start a new series on the old blog after reading some tweets from bloggers about how they are interested in the person behind the blog - so that's what this is, just a random post once a week with some real random ramblings - let me know if you are interested in more!

So apart from the pretty obvious title, here is a clue to tonight's ramble:


Attractive, right? I know. If only I could have brought this little gem home with me to wear every single day... Well this was one of my two costumes that I wore during my two and a half months of working as a Disney Cast-Member - and despite the wonderful colour choice and parachute pants, I would love to have it back!

Anyway, in 2009, I was one of the lucky UK students who got to spend their university summer in the sunshine state of Florida, being part of the most magical place on earth - Disney World!
 It was no easy feat to get into Disney's International Cultural Summer Program - it took three stages of application through Yummy Jobs - an online application, a phone interview, and a face-to-face interview with two American scouts from Disney, which cut hundreds of thousands online applications down to a handful of successful applicants who actually got to go and spend them summer working for the mouse. But with a little faith, trust, and pixie dust as they say, I got through and received the congratulations email saying that I had gained myself a spot as a merchandise cast member - yay!

Ever since being little I had wanted to work in the place that I had visited thirteen times throughout my childhood... Yes, my incessent begging to my parents  generally allocated each summer holiday going back to the place where one day didn't go by without me having a giant smile on my face! Now, the dream was coming true and I was off to create that magic for someone else - and it was everything you could imagine it being and more!

My name badge that I love and adore - Look at the sparkles!
My bed in our two bedroom flat - had the most awesome roommate ever from China!
My second costume - the favourite. Look at that bow tie!

I left on 21st July 2009 and returned back to Blighty on 28th August. In the two months inbetween I worked fifteen different stores in Disney's Hollywood Studios, started a pin collection, made friends with some incredible people, lived with one of the sweetest girls I have ever known, learnt all new things about the American dating system, and worked literally one of the best jobs in the world. 

In the first few days, even with jetlag, you are not getting a moments rest - running to Traditions for training, scouring Walmart for the necessities to survive the first few days of jetlag, and being allocated into where you will be spending the next couple of months: this is one of the most nerve-wracking moments! As you queue up to have ID picture taken, your hair & make-up checked to ensure that it is natural, and being given forms & contracts to fill out, you finally get to the end checkpoint - the big moment - where you are assigned to fill out your role. Everyone wants to work in a park, where you can create the most magic for your guests and really feel the dream that is Disney-world. I literally jumped for joy at finding out I was working at Hollywood Studios - my favourite park! 

From then on, it was long shifts (sometimes 13hrs or more) in bright costumes, in the searing summer sun that sometime made you just want to have your own personal air conditioning. But despite these small drawbacks, it had nothing on the incredible experience that these two months were - where a shift at work meant spending the day having lightsabre battles with little boys, or singing outside Disney's American Idol with girls wanting to be popstars, and dancing in the daily parades. Yes, there were days where all I wanted to do was come home to my boyfriend & family, but honestly, the moments I had out there and being part of the magic, all it has made me want to do is go back! 

It was an incredible two months, with amazing people in a once-in-a-lifetime job where you made the magic happen. It's hardwork, and Disney expect the very best from you, but it is worth every second - granted all access to the parks, Disney discounts, and just saying that you were friends with Mickey, Minnie and the gang! 

If you get the chance, apply to do it one summer, you won't regret it!! 

My cast members: Americans, Brits, French, Chinese, Mexican.
On my graduation day - Dress: H&M; Jacket: H&M
July 21st Cast Member Gang in Magic Kingdom.
My darling roommate Cindy.
Who I was friends with...
My twin from across the pond! 


What do you think of this post? Would you ever work anywhere else? 

Love,

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun way to spend a summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds absolutely amazing!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! I love reading every single one, it means so much to me knowing people are actually reading my ramblings! So thanks and I will reply to each one :-)